bugün

Newcastle United'ın ezeli rakiplerini Stadium of Light'ta 4-1 ile geçtiği maçtır..

Acı olanı sezonun bitimine 2 hafta kala oynanan bu maç yaşayan efsane alan shearer'in da son maçı olmuştur.. maçı 3-1'e getiren penaltıyı attıktan 10 dakika sonra sağ dizinden sakatlanan büyük kaptan sahayı acılar içinde terk ederken siyah beyaz çubuklu forma ile bir daha sahaya çıkamayacağını biliyordu. Maç sonrası hastanede verdiği röportajda "Dizimden gelen sesi hiç beğenmedim.. Bu benim son maçımdı." demişti..

Maçtan iki gün sonra yaptığı açıklama ise hayranlarını gözyaşlarına bağmuştur.. Açıklama şöyledir:

I'm finished now and I have great memories. The fact I won't be able to play the last three games is disappointing but I'm not complaining. How could I?

I had focused on going all the way to the last game of the season against Chelsea and then my testimonial, But we don't live in an ideal world.

Hopefully, I'll be able to kick off the testimonial but there's lots of people worse off than me

That's it, it's all over, There's a tear in the medial ligament which, although it does not require an operation, means I will be in a knee brace for a few weeks. It's disappointing but I've got no regrets, I've had a great career.

Deep down I knew when I limped out of the Stadium of Light that it was probably the end and I think the fans knew it as well. They know I don't stay down unless I'm badly hurt.

My dream as a kid was to play for Newcastle United and to score goals at St James'Park.

It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream. Unless you come from the area you wouldn't understand that mentality. Playing for the club is everything.

I broke Jackie's record and no one can take that away from me. I've never had any regrets.

Some people think it was a fantastic way to go out anyway by scoring in our 4-1 win at Sunderland last week. I think they might be right. *